3D Printing

My idea was to build a holder for the coffee-cups you get in the mensa. They are always hot and you can't touch them. So I measured the cup and created a 3D model after it.

To make it look cooler I used the coil tool in Fusion 360 to make a cool spiral shape into the cup. also I substracted the inner part of the cup because you must be able to put it inside.

The next thing was to design a handle so you are able to hold the new cup.

I used the sweep tool to go along a path I made to make the handle.

After putting everything together I had my cupholder. Then I exported it as stl file and was ready for preparing it in Cura.

When imported to Cura I had to choose my settings. The first was to specify the material and nozzle I wanted to use. This were PLA and 0.6mm.

I used a layer-height of 0.3mm because my object hadn't to be super precise. The wall thickness was set to 1.2 so it would barely make 2 wall-lines.

My sturcture clearly needed lot of support. Because of the spiral there was a lot of overhang. For not taking the project too long I minimized that though. I chose an overhang angle of 70 and a density of just 8.

The structure was now ready to be translated in gcode. But because my object would have taken 100g of material I chose to scale it down by 50%. I knew that the purpose of the object was obsolete now, but I wanted to test first before I waste lots of material.

After adopting the default settings in the Ultimaker 2+ I finally started the print.

The result that came out looked like this. But there was lots of support to be removed.

The removing was harder than I thought. I had to be very careful because as more support faded the structure got more and more instabile.

After about 20 minutes I finally had my cup ready. It looked cool, but had many small errors from printing and removing support. When I would have printed it bigger this probably wouldn't be as significant.